Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Ask and The Answer by Patrick Ness


Hey! I finished this book last week but haven't gotten a chance to post about it until just now! I'll try to write without giving away too much about the first book, but that's a little difficult to do so if you haven't read the first one... well... sorry.

Story: WARNING may contain spoilers.
Todd Hewitt and Viola Eade, forced together by the Mayors evil plotting and then pulled apart for the same reason... Not knowing where Viola is, or if she's even still alive is torture for Todd, not to mention the fact that he has to work with the man who shot her, Davy Prentiss, overseeing Spackle labor. By day he is in the field, watching the Spackle's pale hands lift rocks, their accusing eyes on him at all time, and by night he is locked in a cathedrals bell tower, inches away from freedom that he can never obtain. But when bombs start going off in the city and he feels like Viola is farther away than ever before, Todd struggles even more, fighting not to stray from his beliefs, and thinking that the grass possibly appears slightly greener on the Mayors side.
Viola Eade wakes up to all white, which is strange since hell is supposed to be flaming. All she knows is that Todd isn't there. Her bullet wound aches with her every move and the people tending to her are kind but seem to be shrouded in shadows and whispered secrets. The Mayor keeps coming to visit her, acting much more friendly than she though possible, but he won't tell her where Todd is, if he's safe, or if he's even still alive. She finds herself torn between two promises when the bombs start going off and soon must hunt down the dreaded Answer.

"I AM THE CIRCLE AND THE CIRCLE IS ME."

This book is absolutely amazing, much like it's predecessor. The characters feel a lot like friends now, and even now I feel panicked for their safety as I wait longly for the third installment. I give it a 100 out of 5 and highly recommend it to sci-fi fans and people who love action-packed books!

thanks for reading,
zibz

No comments:

Post a Comment